The Writer’s Club
The Writer’s Club @ Oakleigh ( Wednesday afternoons)
Oakleigh Primary school and Kindergarten, 20 Warrigal Rd Oakleigh 3166
4.15pm – 5.30pm ( Year 3 – Year 6)
Our term 3 program is now open for enrolments. Term 3 includes six workshops starting on August 16th – September 20th, 2017.
The Writer’s Club is an after school writing program that develops both creative thinking and writing skills in a positive club like atmosphere. Our goal is to encourage club members to explore their unique storytelling style and voice. Children have the time and space to experiment with a variety of genres and writing techniques while developing creativity and confidence.
At The Writer’s Club, you will:
- be challenged to grow and build your self-confidence as a writer.
- exercise your creativity and imagination – they are muscles too!
- participate in a range of activities designed to inspire creativity and foster writing skills and self-expression.
- meet and share your writing talent ( and ideas) with lots of new friends.
- develop the essential skills of creative writing in a fun and supportive environment.
- be engaged in the writing process from drafting to workshopping and publication
- have the opportunity to publish pieces of writing on our blog/website as well as entering writing competitions.
The Writer’s Club Program
We present a new program each term and cover a variety of genres and writing styles such as quests, creating picture books, poetry, programs combining art and writing and much more. Oral storytelling and literature are an integral part of our workshops and a constant source of inspiration for our programs.The length of each term’s program is 6 weeks and club members enrol for the full term.
Workshops are developed and presented by a qualified and experienced teacher, passionate about words and writing. Many of our presenters are actively involved in the the writing industry and love having the opportunity to share their skills and knowledge with young writers.
Club members are encouraged to submit their pieces of writing to their presenters for feedback. They are also encouraged to enter local and international writing competitions. Opportunities to publish their writing on our blog are always available.
The Writer’s Masterclass – Holiday Writing Fun
After many requests to present holiday programs for young writers, we launched ‘The Writer’s Masterclass’ in April 2013. It was a great success and we’ve now added this to our regular programs.
Oakleigh Primary School and Kindergarten
20 Warrigal Rd, Oakleigh 3166
At Write away With me, we’re dedicated to inspiring the next generation of writers. We wanted to give children the chance to get up close and personal with some of Melbourne’s most popular children’s authors, illustrators, poets, and artists. At The Writer’s Club, I’ve seen first hand, the positive influence a guest author has on young writers. I also know how much I love the opportunity to listen to authors speak about their work. And of course, I’m passionate about anything that inspires children to connect with books and writing!
The Writer’s Masterclass:
- develops a strong relationship between the reader/writer and deepens a child’s literary experience.
- enriches and extends children’s writing skills.
- ignites children’s imaginations and allows them to experience ‘story’ in a very real and immediate way.
- exposes children to a variety of different literary voices and writing styles.
- stimulates and excites creative young minds.
- inspires young writers and encourages them to take their talent, their writing projects and their ambitions seriously.
The Writer’s Masterclass Program
Each program includes The Q&APanel, Two Masterclass Workshops: one with each of our presenters, and Fully supervised breaks.
Timetables may vary from program to program but basically here’s how the day unfolds:
9.30am: The Q&APanel – a chance for children to meet the guest presenters, ask questions and hear their favourite authors read their books.
10.00am: Workshop 1 with guest writer (Workshops are approx 2.5 hrs long and include a short break)
12.30pm: Supervised lunch break
1.15pm: Workshop 2
3.30pm: Book signing/ purchasing